• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Greg's Crematogaster sp.1 Journal (Discontinued)

journal crematogaster

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 7 2015 - 11:55 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Well... As you may have been able to tell by previous images/video, the larvae of these colony never seem to have food in them. Is this normal, or are they actually hungry? I have now seen these guys finally accept a bit of Aqua 300, and only the liquid. I know Crematogaster love sweets, but what should the protein source be?!

Aqua 300 is a fine protein source.  Springtails are also great for small ants, and produce little waste, as I've mentioned elsewhere.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#42 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 8 2015 - 12:03 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Yes, but as far as I see, the workers only drink the liquid and do not feed the larvae.

#43 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 8 2015 - 12:12 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Some species are weird—the Pheidole I had would eat Formula diets but the larvae never changed colors.  The larvae continued to develop, but I had no indication that the pigment in the food was being passed to the larvae.  

If the Aqua 300 yields an acceptable response, I would continue feeding it daily and keep notes on brood numbers and health.  Don't simply assume that because the ants weren't feeding larvae at the time you observed them, or because the larvae did not change color, that they were being neglected.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#44 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 8 2015 - 12:14 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Okay... Its not just the larvae. As you may have seen in the timelapse, the queen is crazy skinny. She looks starved almost.

#45 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 8 2015 - 12:49 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Okay... Its not just the larvae. As you may have seen in the timelapse, the queen is crazy skinny. She looks starved almost.

I don't necessarily agree with that observation.  She's naturally going to be skinnier than when she flew and mated.

Final instar larvae produce hormone secretions that are trollied by the workers to the queen, which stimulate her ovaries to produce more eggs. So she will remain "skinny" until she has an abundance of hundreds of brood and her ovaries are in full production.

#46 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 15 2015 - 11:34 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update: 1/15/2015

This colony is doing well, they have brood of all sizes. :)

I do not know where they are getting the protein from though... I did see them eat Aqua 300 today though. :)

Sorry for the bad image, I was in a hurry.

#47 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 16 2015 - 1:09 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I'd be interested in knowing what endosymbionts may be involved in nutritional upgrading with Crematogaster spp..

You can learn about this highly studied phenomena in a few Camponotus-oriented research journals I host:

J. J. Wernegreen: Small genome of Candidatus Blochmannia, the bacterial endosymbiont of Camponotus, implies irreversible specialization to an intracellular lifestyle. Microbiology(2002),148, 2551–2556

#48 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 19 2015 - 9:56 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update: 1/19/2015

The colony is doing good, the video does not show well the amount of brood that they have, but it is a lot!

#49 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted January 20 2015 - 3:54 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Nice colony! :)

#50 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 20 2015 - 7:51 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Thank you!

#51 Offline Tpro4 - Posted January 21 2015 - 6:35 AM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
Try fruit flies
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#52 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 21 2015 - 9:57 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Try fruit flies

If you care to read through the journal before posting, you may know that I do/did feed fruit flies. I have like two videos of them feeding.

#53 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 17 2015 - 8:31 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update: 3/17/2015

Multiple of the smallest of the workers have died, but I am not worried as I think these are just the first generation workers dying from old age by now. (I have not seen a single big, newer generation worker die.)

#54 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted June 21 2015 - 2:30 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update: 6/21/2015

The colony is probably past 100 workers now. I am going to be making them a proper formicarium in the next few days. Can anyone describe how the chambers and tunnels of a Crematogaster colony look? I want to make the tunnels and chambers to fit their liking.

#55 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 3 2015 - 4:48 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update: 9/3/2015

The colony from last year continues to just get bigger and bigger, despite all of the old nanitics dying.

I caught a few more of these in my pool last month and they too, now have workers.

• Diffeomorphismus and LC3 like this

#56 Offline LC3 - Posted September 3 2015 - 10:47 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
Are the workers trying to remove the queen's wings?

#57 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 3 2015 - 11:11 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yes. :D

#58 Offline Roachant - Posted September 23 2015 - 5:53 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
Everyone has a dream species to keep... These would be mine. I'm trying to find some around here but I'm not having much luck.
Nice journal!

#59 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 23 2015 - 12:16 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Everyone has a dream species to keep... These would be mine. I'm trying to find some around here but I'm not having much luck.
Nice journal!

Thanks! I am sure you could find some C.cerasi up there. They look a lot like these, just maybe grow a little slower.

#60 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 17 2016 - 12:33 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update: 2/17/2016

I accidentally dried out my large colony of this species along with my Tetramorium colony. :(

They went from the queen, ~500 workers, and ~100 brood to the queen, 1 worker, and no brood. 

The queen and last worker seem to be okay by now, however. The queen has eaten and laid eggs since the disaster.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal, crematogaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users